|Title: KING 5′s Gary Chittim on why Hanford matters to every Washington resident
Source: KING 5
Author: Susannah FrameJune 9, 1998
Gary Chittim, KING5 Reporter: They’ve already found cesium in the Columbia River. They’ve already found radioactive material in the Columbia River. So it’s not a question of when that will happen. It’s a question of now that it’s happened, what does that mean.
At 3:15 in
Chittim: If u go back and talk to a lot of the government leaders from this state they were all very frustrated […] Talking to [former Washington Governor] Gary Locke, he called it Chernobyl underground, waiting to happen.
- Officials at leaking U.S. nuclear site don’t know where leak is at or what it’s doing — “Absolutely not, it’s underground” (VIDEO) March 7, 2013
- Governor: Leaks can’t be stopped at U.S. nuclear site — Will take years to begin removing radioactive sludge from leaking Hanford tanks (VIDEO) March 7, 2013
- CBS News: Mind-boggling mistakes at leaking U.S. nuclear site — “The chances of a catastrophic event are real” -Former Governor (VIDEO) March 3, 2013
- Official: “This stands out from the string of recent bad news” about leaking U.S. nuclear site… “It really does complicate cleanup further” — “No clear plan for responding quickly to leaking nuclear waste” #Hanford June 24, 2013
- TV: Leaking tank at U.S. nuclear site may be in far worse condition than previously known — Workers shocked by new findings #Hanford June 21, 2013